Well, today was one of those days where you just kind of gut it out and nothing is really so horrible but you're just kind of in survival mode to make it through. I had a particular case of the grouchies at lunch today and Ethan said,
"Mommy, why are you making that grouchy face?"
"Well, because my body hurts right now (menstrual cramps), and I'm just really tired and I get frustrated that I spend so much time cleaning things in our house and I look around and I can never really tell that I did anything."
"Why do you get frustrated?"
Man, I don't think he really knew the profundity of THAT question...
Anyway, at some point he said,
"Well, you can have one of my woobies! Here, you can have O.T. He makes people feel really happy."
(O.T. is an orange teddy bear that we got at walmart while we were pretend playing the arcade games and a well-groomed hispanic teenager walked up, played the crane stuffed animal game, won a teddy bear, handed it to Ethan, and then walked away before I could more than blubber a bewildered thank you...I felt guilty for wondering if he had ulterior motives of some kind because in the end I really think he was just being a nice person--and you know, being nice to a stranger is practically a crime these days and makes you suspicious. Random Tangent.)
So I held O.T. while I made lunch. When we sat down to eat, Ethan said:
"Mommy, do you feel better?"
"Um... yeah. A little bit."
"Then, you can have Bo, too. He helps people feel really really happy. If you have TWO friends then you will feel better."
"Thanks Ethan. And you know what I really really need? I need an Ethan hug, because you are my best friend EVER."
Man, I love that kid.
PS--just as a footnote, I have a friend whose daughter has a "woobie." It's a small little blanket with some different textures sewed onto it and little loopies to play with and stroke and hold. When she and Ethan play together, her "woobie" is one thing she is not expected to share, and Ethan doesn't have to share his dog Bo. So, at our house, "woobie" has come to mean a stuffed animal that is VERY special to you. K, the end.
everything I ever needed to know about masks I learned in a pandemic.
-
Hi! Long time no see! How are you? I really like what you’ve done with your
hair. In the midst of this crazy bananas, I’ve been making masks and
sharing th...
6 years ago


8 comments:
Doesn't take much to make it all worth it and carry you through 'til the next little moment, does it?! :)
Isn't it nice to have our little guys here to remind us that the world notices when we aren't at our best. Sorry you had a crummy day...it's amazing how sensitive they are to our needs sometimes.
That's a sweet story.
Sometimes I feel like I need to hide my bad days from my children- but really, I think it is great when we can help each other through. I was puking in the sink the other day and couldn't make it to the bathroom to close the door- there I was with my three kids watching me loose my breakfast in the kitchen sink. . . "Do you need some medicine?" they asked with wide eyes. Afterwards they gave me hugs, and I can't count how many times they have prayed "for mommy to feel better and have a healthy and strong body". They can be such a strength to me on bad days! We miss you guys!
such a cute story. ok i have exciting news...i am getting a piano next saturday...for real! so bring on the lessons! ps how are you i haven't talked to you in forever!
Hi, I am not sure about how I came about you blog. Just thought it was funny you are Emily and So am I, i just spell it different Emalee. My husband is kyle and well I see so is yours. Your little boys are super cute.
Cute kid. That would brighten up anybody's day to have such a caring little boy offer such things!
Hi Em,
What a sweetie Ethan is!! Thank goodness for little boys. You must be busy because you haven't posted in a while...Hope life isn't dishing you out too much at once! Keep Smiling!!
Post a Comment