Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Some snapshots of our new life...

Well, we're here! We have successfully transitioned from studenthood in Indiana to jobhood in Colorado. Life is good!


Here's a picture of our new house:



Just kidding.




Here it is, really:




But it feels like a castle to us. It is so fun to have a yard and a garage and so much more space than we've ever had.



Here are some of the things we love:

** A family room/playroom!**
There's a little window in the wall over the kitchen sink so I can peek in over the dishes and watch the boys play. One of my wildest fantasies. :)

This is right when we moved in, and we had set up fortresses for beanbag wars. The rules were that you could venture out from behind your fortress to get more beanbags, but at you own risk. Ethan loved it.


The temple we built even had angel Moroni on top!


** A yard!!**

Especially great for soccer...





...and water fights with 2nd cousins!


This summer, Kyle lived with my Grandma in Colorado while he started work, and the boys and I lived with my parents in Utah. As soon as we decided to rent this house, (a month before we moved into it) Kyle started helping with yardwork and getting things in order for us to come.
He called me in early July and said,
"Guess what I did today?"
"What?"
"I planted a garden in our backyard."
"What?! OUR backyard? In July? How...?"

I must admit I was a little bit skeptical about several things.







But that Kyle Ricks has a green thumb, I tell you what. I repent of all skeptical or doubtful thoughts I ever had, because here's what we have now!!!




Awesome! We had our first zucchini for lunch today and Jake gobbled it up so quick I went out and picked another one and we ate that too. The boys have been picking beans themselves and eating them raw just as a snack. SOOOOOO fun!!!


Across from the garden is a big empty space. 2 boys+a huge spot of dirt to play in= hours of enjoyment. In the spring I want to get a little shed with little gardening tools and let them get some of their own projects going...


***A Desk in the kitchen!!***

This is the first time I've ever had coloring supplies and other crafty stuff available to the boys without them having to ask me to get it down. (a combination of not enough space mixed with a little bit of me having some control issues with messy stuff) I'm getting over both of those things. So now, while I'm cooking dinner, they can just walk right over and help themselves to this...


As long as they clean up and I still have my desk for calendaring and to do lists and grocery planning, everybody's happy. :)


Not enough time and not enough pictures to show and tell the whole house, but we feel really grateful and really content. We're in a pretty different stage of life right now. Kyle has a job, Ethan is in school, and we live in a house. Woah. Just like that. I guess we're not newlyweds anymore?!? (7 years later, right?)

We're reconnecting with lots of old friends and making some new ones. We're mostly "moved in" and now just plotting out long-term projects and finding the best ways to make our space work. We're thankful for all of the little miracles that have gotten us here.

I have a few pictures of Ethan's first day of school. I'll get those up soon.

K, the end.









6 comments:

Rachel said...

Wow, everything looks great. What a wonderful life with your boys!

The Morgan's said...

Hey Emily! Congrats on the house! I LOVE your garden and am just a little bit envious! How awesome to have fresh veggies to go pick! What a fun surprise! Glad to see you guys are doing well!

Cormorant said...

Congratulations! What a great place to call home. I love the yard and the awesome desk in the kitchen. We're so happy for you!

Jami said...

Glad things are going well for you guys. Nice garden BTW! I'm looking forward to being in our own place...it's gotta come soon- I hope!

Allison said...

That picture of Ethan with the beans made me smile out loud -- his grin is so contagious. I'm putting that picture as my computer desktop right now.

And the house/garden look awesome! I can't wait to see it!

Hohmann Family said...

I'm so thrilled for you guys! I can't wait to get back out on my own. That comes with some awesome feelings of empowerment. But I'm terribly jealous of your garden. We planted one, but have gotten little from it. The frost came too early and cut the lifespan of all our veggies off. We got two small squash, 1 zucchini, about 10 carrots, and will end up with 3 pumpkins. Sad.